Between mountains and sea, the Corsican Regional Committee of the French Federation of Underwater Studies and Sports (FFESSM) represents the national bodies of the Federation on Corsica and relays the federal policy.
The Corsican Regional Committee is a 1901 association law which brings together all the Clubs and Approved Commercial Structures (SCA) under its banner, for the promotion of aquatic and underwater activities. In the year 2020, it represented 80 structures and nearly 3,000 licensees.
The Regional Committee has numerous missions within the FFESSM.
In particular, the following should be noted:
- organisation of regional competitions for the disciplines concerned
- representation with the Regional Directorate of Youth and Sports (DRJSCS)
- representation with the Regional Olympic and Sports Committee (CROS)
- distribution of licences and federal supplies to clubs and SCAs
- pooling resources and setting up training courses or sports events
- relaying national federal policy on Corsica and relaying local demands to the federation
At the same time, the Regional Committee works within the Corsican Region on economic and ecological aspects such as:
- protection of the marine environment and sustainable development in partnership with the Corsican Environment Office and the University of Corsica
- contribution to the tourist development of Corsica in partnership with the Corsican Tourist Agency
- participation in the economic development of Corsica by promoting job offers and applications to SCAs
In order to improve its running, the French Federation for Underwater Studies and Sports (FFESSM) has created decentralised bodies that represent the national authorities on their territory and relay federal policy.